I have a sweet tooth at times, so fruit is the ultimate guilt free indulgence for me. Succulent, juicy berries bursting with flavor are one of my favorite things about summer. I like to use the abundance of fresh fruit this time of year to my advantage by making some cocktails. An added bonus for this recipe: the antioxidants that make the berries blue may trigger increased fat burning.
1/2 cup blueberries, plus 12 for garnishes
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup water
2 cups sparkling water
6 ounces elderflower flavored liqueur
4 lavender sprigs for garnish
* In a small saucepan, bring to a boil the blueberries, sugar and water.
* Cook 1 minute, breaking up berries with a spoon.
* Strain syrup, reserving liquid (you should have about 1/2 cup); let cool 15 minutes.
* Fill a large pitcher with ice. Add blueberry syrup, sparkling water and elderflower-flavored liqueur (such as St-Germain); stir well.
* Pour into 4 glasses; garnish each with 3 blueberries and a lavender sprig. Serve immediately.
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
177 calories per drink, 0 g fat, 22 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 0 g protein